Crime Records

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Orchid - The Zodiac Sessions Review

Band: Orchid
Album: The Zodiac Sessions
Label: Nuclear Blast
Country: United States
Release Date: November 18, 2013






Orchid, a well known doom metal band, surged onto the airwaves in 2007 out of San Francisco, California. It is fair to say that Orchid is taking over with crippling force. Their music is reminiscent of some of the greatest names in metal Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd. The lyrics from their song “Eyes Behind the Wall,” come to mind when describing Orchid, “You were born to save us from ourselves.” I think it is fair to say that they are fiercely reviving some of the greatest parts of metal, and adding their own influential twist to the genre.  While reading through the bands biography a statement that was made by “Rock Hard’s” Gotz Künemund stated, “I have witnessed the coolest band in many years. ORCHID has managed to blow away everything in their path. They were really the best band and their album Capricorn is a stroke of genius, a superb record that never leaves my player!”


As for their music, I found myself getting lost in numerous head banging sessions. The band has managed to revamp two of their best albums and pull them together onto one awesome compilation. The band compliments each other well. I appreciated the fact that the vocals of Theo Mindell were rarely overtaken by the music. Guitarist Mark Thomas shred through the album leaving me a bit dizzy from his talent. I was stoked by how much he stood out on this compilation, even on some of their slower paced songs. Keith Nickel the bands bass player added a hard rock edge to the music, which I found it to be refreshing, paired with what drum bashing insanity I heard from Carter Kennedy. I have to be in honest in saying I do not have anything negative to say about this album. 


The album clocks in at 01:04:58 long. Here is the track list.


1. Eyes Behind the Wall

2. Capricorn
3. Black Funeral
4. Masters of It all
5. Down Into the Earth
6. He Who Walks Alone
7. Cosmonaut of Three
8. Electric Father
9. Albatross
10. Into the Sun
11. Eastern Woman
12. Son of Misery
13. No One Makes a Sound

I have to raise my horns to Orchid and give this album 8 out of 10.

(SarahLynne)





No comments:

Post a Comment